Sunday, March 17, 2013

Birthday Celebrations

My birthday celebrations started a week early by a (somewhat) surprise trip to Seattle for a girls get-away. IT WAS AWESOME! And well-timed. I flew over and Rachel and Heather (best-law-school-buds) drove up from Portland to pick me up from the airport. We had lunch, caught up on life, checked in to our super-nice hotel, and relaxed. Then we met up with Andrew and Christy Borders, and little Lindy, for dinner (other Spokane friends). Here is Christy and Heather--this was Heather's first time trying sushi. 

On Friday, we headed to Pike's Place and enjoyed the market. It was a lot of fun for me to see the crafty people working away at their art. After Pike's Place, we relaxed at the hotel again. It was soooo great!

On Saturday, we searched around and found a Chinese Reflexology Foot Massage shop where we went and got a "Foot Massage" for a sweet deal. The massage therapists actually started with our heads, our shoulders, our arms, our legs, and then went to our feet. It was so relaxing.

And here we are on Alki Beach with Seattle in the background. After our foot massages, we headed to the beach to stroll around. The sights were beautiful.

It ended so fast--Sunday morning I flew home. I was happy to see Rhett and the girls. I sure missed them. And Rhett did such a good job of taking care of them on his own--from Thursday to Sunday. As soon as I got back to Liberty Lake, I rushed off to choir. And when I got home from choir, Rhett was making cookies with the kiddos! He never burned out. He did great. I appreciate his support and willingness to send me away for a weekend to relax and recharge. And thanks Heather and Rachel for planning a great trip!

My birthday celebrations continued to yesterday (my actual birthday) where I opened my gifts and cards from the family. I was actually quite sentimental as I opened them--I shed a few tears. And when I told Rhett how I was thinking about my mom and how she was holding me for the first time today (yesterday) thirty-one years ago, and how much her life would change because of ME, I got a bit emotional. Maybe that means I'm getting old. Or maybe it just means I'm pregnant. Or maybe it means I'm just growing up and realizing how much our kids mean to us, and how much we mean to our parents.

After I got myself under control, we headed out to the Spokane St. Patrick's Day parade.

Half way through the parade, I left to go to a writer's workshop. It was a birthday present from my mother-in-law, and it was one of the best workshops I have ever been to. I left feeling so inspired, encouraged, and guided in my writing goals. It was a great birthday gift.

I haven't done much pondering on my last year, though I remember my goals and aspirations to do something totally new during my 30th year, to create new experiences and memories. As much as I wanted to go diving for pearls, or to travel up north to see the Northern Lights, I didn't create any memories like that. But I did have a lot of new experiences and I did make some great memories that I will hold on to. I guess that's what happens with life, whether you plan them or not--new experiences and memories are made. That's a pretty cool thing.

1 comment:

auntanne said...

Happy birthday, so glad you enjoyed your surprise weekend.
Thanks SO much for the family and
girls picture up date, I really enjoy watching them grow.