Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Little About Me (Day 2)

Lots of people have asked in the past three months how I have been doing (regarding giving birth to Pyper). I had a great recovery--the best one yet. I attribute it to being my third birth, but also to Katrina , my cranialsacral therapist; Cara, my prenatal yoga instructor; Cathy, my midwife; and Rhett, for working to pay these great women! I really feel that they all helped me prepare my body for the work of laboring, birthing, and recovering. A week after I'd had Pyper, I couldn't believe that I actually didn't even feel like I'd given birth the week before!

I haven't really struggled with any postpartum depression this time, like I did with the other two girls. Rhett's been really great about helping me in my down times so I don't spiral too deep. He's a wonderful companion.

Pyper's now three months old, and I don't remember what it was like to just have two kids. I stay busy throughout the day trying to meet each girls' needs. Now that both Summer and Claire are in school Monday through Thursday, I get a couple hours where it's just Pyper and me. We've enjoyed the alone time to bond and get to know each other better. When she's napping during this time, I work on my continuing education class that I'm taking online through BYU Provo. It's called "Writing for Children and Young Adults," and it's been a lot of fun for me. I also work on this, on cleaning the house, or on relaxing with Rhett when he's home after the girls go to bed.

I have new callings in our church: I'm the ward choir pianist again (which I love), and I'm the Relief Society music conductor.

I have a thing for paper. Love textured paper, colored paper, printed paper, anything and any kind of craft to do with paper. Analogy: Brittney is to Paper as Rhett is to Shoes.

I love listening to "Funiculi Funicula" while making dinner and the girls are playing. It's a perfect cooking accompaniment. (I even know a few of the words and will sing along . . . sometimes.)

Just the other day, I was going through a few files on my computer and I found this list. It was a list of things I've done in my life that have attributed to who I am. At the time I wrote it up, I was on a kick about how the experiences in our lives make us who we are. So I made a list of some of my experiences to examine in this light who I was.
Here it is:
1) Sky diving
2) Guatemala (3 months, alone)
3) Brazil (pregnant, with a one-year-old, and a husband in class)
4) Scuba certified (in freezing cold water with snow)
5) Swimming at the RS retreat in Spokane (you Spokanites know what I'm referring too) ;)
6) Zumba
7) Divorced
8) Birth at hospital with epidural
9) Home birth natural
10) Getting published in BYU-I's university journal
11) Worked as construction flagger in Yellowstone Park
I would add a few new things to this list, like conquering the pill and starting a small book business, but that was my original list.

I love poetry. Some of my favorite poets are Robert Frost ("Birches," "Bereft," and "Acquainted with the Night"), Li Young Lee ("Braiding," "The Gift," and "Early in the Morning,"), and Rhett. :) (Especially because his poems are about me.)

Chopin and Vivaldi are my favorite classical composers. I do love Rachmaninoff too. But if I had a playlist, and you looked at it right now, you would see Mindy Gledhill's "Mi Ancla," "My Anchor," and "All About Your Heart-Nie Nie Version," as well as Eddie Vedder's Ukelele songs ("Without You," "Longing to Belong," and "Tonight, You Belong to Me").

I am currently working on Chopin's Nocturne in E Flat Major. I've almost got the whole last page memorized. The bad news is . . . I'm starting from the end and working my way toward the beginning, so I still have a way to go.

I actually enjoying doing dishes, though the sink is never empty these days. But I absolutely find no pleasure at all in doing laundry.

Where do I stand on Twilight? I have a love/hate relationship with the books. I love the concept of the books--girl falls in love with vampire, werewolf gets involved, etc. But I'm not really a fan of Meyer's writing style. Plus, I'm a little jealous I didn't come up with it and write them.

Could this post get any more boring???

Okay. I'm done blabbing.

3 comments:

Maria said...

Love this post! It feels like I just got to know you a little bit better.

Jenny said...

I love your posts, they seriously brighten my day! I learned new things about you,too.

What took you to Guatemala?

I went and listened to a couple of the songs by Mindy Gledhill, and I really like her. Have you ever listened to Priscilla Ahn? I think you would would like her. She has one or two songs that were popular, but I really like the rest of her stuff, too.

I'm the choir pianist, too! I have yet to fall into enjoyment with it. It stresses me out beyond words some days. And the stage fright- oh dear! What's your secret?

I think I'm the only one left in the world that hasn't read/seen Twilight. Not my genre at all, so I'm holding out.

And- I didn't know you'd been sky diving. You're much braver than I!

Josh and Rach said...

Number 5 is the best :) Im still sad i had went to bed before swimming started...dangit