Thursday, January 29, 2009

Kierst

I pulled out an old scrapbook yesterday and thumbed through the pages looking for a certain picture of a certain someone from a long time ago. Didn't find it, but I did find one that made me stop and think about life. This picture is of me and my cousin Kiersten Gemar at my brother's wedding (August of 2002). She passed away last October from a seizure in the night. Her mom, Shelli, is one of my best friends. I tried sending the picture to Shell as an attachment in email, but she couldn't open it. So I decided to post it on the blog. (Please excuse the girl whose lap she is sitting on. That was a long time ago!)
I had to scan it in, so it isn't the best quality, but it will do. I also tried to post it on Kiersten's memorial blog, but I wasn't quite sure how to do that. Linda, maybe you could help me out . . .
Anyway, if we were living in Shelley right now, I know Kierst would be coming over probably every day so she could play with Summer. And Rhett and I would be able to go out movies and dinner and Kierst would babysit for us. (That is, if we had the money!) To me, one of the most difficult things about losing someone is the hopes and dreams of the future that will never be. In the hospital room, right after I had Summer, Shelli said we could now do mother-daughter piano quartets (well, when Summer can actually play the piano). I was so excited for that.
Kierst, what a special girl you are. We sure miss you.

PS What is with this innate drive for babies to crawl away naked when you're trying to change their diaper?

2 comments:

Linda and Terry said...

Brit, its a beautiful photo. Thanks for sharing. It made me cry to see it. Try sending it to me and I'll see if I can open the email. Thank you that is so thoughtful.

Shelli Gemar said...

Thanks Brit - it's beautiful. SHE is beautiful.