Friday, April 11, 2014

A bit about me

About a week before Christmas (of 2013), my friend mentioned to me that she teaches violin. I've always wanted to learn to play the violin, and I told her this. Then she came up with a great idea: "Hey! How about you teach my daughter the piano, and I'll teach you the violin!" 
AWESOME!
So we did it. I found a cheap violin on craigslist that week, gave it to Rhett to give to me for Christmas (along with his awesome other gifts), and I started violin lessons the week after Christmas.

I have loved playing the violin. For the first few months, the girls loved it when I played, and they would dance and dance while I practiced. Now, I usually only practice after they are in bed (hence my blog time has diminished) because there is less distraction with the chickas. I practice for usually more than an hour each day--it is so fun!

Once Rhett saw that I was serious about learning to play the violin, he decided to get me a nicer instrument. So for my birthday, he got me this babe: a 1960's German violin.



I LOVE antiques, and the sound on this is amazing (if I hit the notes right!). And it is so beautiful!
I was so excited to get it.


On a side note, Pyper has adopted the toy ukelele as her own violin and walks around with it under chin, plinking at the strings. For a while, she tried to find a stick that would work as her bow, but Claire's arrows from her bow-and-arrow-kit don't work very well. She even keeps it next to my violins. :)


4 comments:

auntanne said...

How nice for you. Pyper might surprise you and pick some of your lessons. SWEET NOTES

Blatter said...

I am so jealous! I have always wanted to play the violin! That is awesome!

Maria said...

Can't wait to hear you play! Perhaps a clip on the blog is in order?

Mark said...

I suspect we will get a mini concert when we come up to help you move. I'd like to hear and see a jig :)