Wednesday, May 2, 2012

"P" and Dots

Today, Summer said:
(and I'm differentiating with spelling, though she did not)

"Mom! 'Pee' is go potty. 'Pea' is for lunch. 'P' is for Porter . . . Pyper . . . and nobody else because I don't know the rest."


Yesterday, while we were driving to a friend's house, a ways up the mountain near the lake, we saw three young deer. Summer said she saw dots on one of them. I said, "Yes, there are dots on all of them because they are babies."
She said, "Docks?"
I said, "Dots."
She said, "Docks?"
I said, "No, dots."
She said again, "Docks?"
And without thinking, I said, "No. D-O-T-S. Dots." (spelling it out for her)
She said, "Oh. Dots. D-O-T-S," as if she totally knew what that meant.

I laughed--at myself for spelling it out to her, and at her for acting like it was old-hat that I'd spelled a word to her to help clarify what I was saying.

2 comments:

Jillyn said...

I can't believe you used the phrase old-hat.....I totally used that my first semester of college and you and Jessica totally gave me a hard time saying I made that saying up. Hilarious!!!

Mark said...

Kids now days are much more advanced than they were when I was one. Gotta love em!