Wednesday, May 16, 2012

"It ended like it began . . .

Just you and me. And one little baby."

That's what Rhett said to me this past Thursday night as we crawled into bed.

And just how did it begin? With Rhett, me, and little Summer Dawn packing up all our things, saying our goodbyes to Shelley, Idaho, and trekking all the way to Spokane to our apartment on North Nevada.

It began on a Sunday when we looked over at a young couple with a little baby too and asked where RS and Priesthood met.

It began at Pig Out at the Park, where we first "officially" hung out as a bunch of green law school students and wives.

It began in the fall, September, when the trees started changing, but the sun was shining, and there was little wind.

And it all ended last Thursday, May 10.

Just me, Rhett, and little Pippy in tow.

We waited outside Judge Clark's courtroom a little before 3:30. Rhett had his paperwork filled out, a little nervous at the unexpected. I had the diaper bag, ready for anything Pyper would need to keep her quiet. And Pippy had her binky and a smile, charming everyone who saw her.

Well, 3:30 came, and passed. And as we waited and watched through the empty courtroom window, Rhett noticed someone go into the room and turn all the lights off. We both panicked. This was a pretty big deal.

So Rhett chased her down and said he was supposed to be getting sworn in by Judge Clark in the room where the lady had just turned the lights off. She said that Judge Clark was in the Juvenile court today, across the street.

Oh boy. We were late now. We scrambled to get down the four floors, outside, across the street, and into the right building, making it past security and a few sketchy teens. Of course, it was past 3:30 now, and Judge Clark's courtroom at JV was now empty. We waited and waited. Rhett tried tracking someone down, anyone, while I waited in the courtroom.

Finally, a lady came into the courtroom and asked if she could help me. I explained that my husband was supposed to get sworn in today by Judge Clark. She said, "I'm Judge Clark, and I was here at 3:30 and no one was here." I explained that they had sent us to the other building, and then she said, "They didn't call you to tell you it changed?" I answered no.
And then Rhett walked in with Pyper. Good ol' Pippy saved us.
"Oh my! What a darling baby!" And she started cooing at Pyper and laughing and saying how cute she was.
Then she said, "Well let me go put my robe on."

She sat up at the front podium, and Rhett, Pyper, and I sat where the attorneys sit for trial. (Me and Pippy were co-counsel!) And then she read the oath; Rhett repeated it after her. I almost stood up and interupted, "Your Honor, I object!" just for the fun of it. But I didn't.

Then she signed it. And we were done.

Sitting next to Rhett as he stood and read the vows, I swelled with pride. We are so proud of him and his accomplishments, his sacrifices, and his hard work.

6 comments:

Mark said...

This almost seems like a fairy tale. Two young people, one goal, and a happy ending. And somewhere in there, three darling little daughters are included. What a great day Rhett and Britt! We are soooooo proud.

auntanne said...

So, Iguess you passed your bar! I had no dought. Love

Jenny said...

That's just about the coolest thing ever. Congratulations!

Brett and Cherice said...

What a great day!!! Congrats to all of you:)

Heather said...

wow...talk about stressful for a second! Congrats you two!

Maria said...

Go Rhett! You guys have really done awesome!