Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Projects


Lately, we've been doing a lot of projects. Here are a few that have been quite fun for us.

Summer has been asking how to spell words and names recently, so I decided to make some poetry magnets for her. She loves rearranging them on the fridge and can identify what each word/name is. This is how she set it up tonight:

We also made books of colors. I told the girls to go find something green (etc.), and they ran around the house to find something green. Then they brought their items back to me. They each got a turn taking a picture of their item of choice, and then they'd go find something of the next color. I printed out the photos, typed up the text, and cut it out. Then we put everything on the table and they had to match the color of the item in the picture to the color of the text (like purple, red, green, etc.) Then they got to glue the photos and text down onto their pages. I covered the pages with clear contact paper, hole-punched them, and tied some ribbon to keep the pages together. It was a lot of fun for them.

Here are a few pictures of Claire's book:






My hopes is that through repetition of seeing the color of the words with the letters, they (mostly Summer--Claire when she gets older) will begin to recognize the letters as spelling those colors.

My two favorite things about this project: afterward, when the books were all done, Claire sat on the couch and looked at her book for about twenty minutes. Loved it. And when I told the girls to go find something white, guess what Summer came back with . . . a roll of toilet paper. :) Clever girl.


This last project was more my project than the girls'. All they had to do was their handprints, and then I worked on making them into reindeer. I made them to be Christmas decorations for next year. I love handprint projects, and it will be so fun to pull them out next year and see how much everyone has grown!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What fabulous ideas! Your girls sure have a fun mom.

Blatter said...

Love these ideas! You're amazing.