Saturday, January 12, 2013

New Year's Eve

New Year's Eve was just as fun for us as Christmas was!

We'd been talking about having a "party" for a few days prior to it, so when we actually started the "party," the girls were really excited. We started by decorating our Yule Log--a childhood tradition of mine. I asked my mom about it and she said we used to burn the Yule Log on Christmas, but I decided we would start our tradition and burn it New Year's Eve--to say goodbye to the old and welcome the new. So we got out stickers and ribbons and googly eye balls and glitter and streamers--any scraps I could find in all my craft stuff. The girls worked away, while Rhett and I helped with the hot glue gun. Claire could have spent probably two more hours on it, but everyone else was ready for the rest of the party. Sorry, Claire. We'll start earlier next year!






 We wondered how well it would burn, but it actually caught fire quite easily and went up in flames. 

We watched it burn for a little bit, then we played our party game--Red Light, Green Light. For the first few times, Rhett held Pippy in one arm, and Summer's hand with the other, while Claire ran beside him. I directed traffic--holding up a green circle when it was okay for them to run to me, and red when they had to stop. They girls loved it. And I think Rhett did too. :) Then Summer got a turn as traffic director, and Claire too.

After our party game, we had our New Year's Eve cake (a new tradition)--an oatmeal cake that is one of my favorite from childhood. It was a hit, of course (any cake at our house is!). We did our handprints for our time capsule (something we do each year too), and then we put the girls to bed. Rhett and I watched some lame movie, which I can't even remember what it was. I think I fell asleep in it.

It was so much fun. We loved starting some new traditions with our little family and look forward to doing it again next year!

2 comments:

Mark said...

You've started some great traditions. The girls will remember them for a long time; and perhaps take them into the eternities. Good job!

grannykrkm said...

Grandma Kirkham says, I love your blog additions. Thanks for sharing with us.

We are excited that you are having another little Princess Barney in your family!!! Hurray!

We love you all 5 3/4!