Friday, September 21, 2012

To Change My Mind . . .

Last night, Summer was playing and I noticed she put her chair bean bag on top of Pyper. I quickly removed it and sat Summer on the couch (a little forcefully because she tried climbing off). I wanted her at my eye level while I was kneeling so I could talk to her about the dangers of covering Pyper. I was being very firm.

Summer was upset that I removed her from her play, and she knew I was upset because of what she had done. Often times, when she's in trouble, she'll try to cut us off and say, "Mom, if you don't let me get off the couch, then I'll get down and go in the play room and shut the door and lock you out." (She started this whole "threatening" thing when we started telling her about natural consequences: "Summer, if you don't come in and eat your dinner, you will miss dinner time and your stomach will hurt and you will have to go to bed hungry." So our "natural consequences" probably just sounded like "threats" to her, and she's picked up on saying them. Now we just say when/then statements: "Summer, when you've come in and eaten your dinner, then you can go back outside and play." Hence, there is only one option to do, and it's the right choice for her to make.)

ANYWAY, I was trying to talk to her about how dangerous it was to cover Pyper and how it could really hurt her, and she started interrupting me. But this time, she was saying something new: "Mom, if you don't let me down, then I will pray--" I kept stopping her because it was important that she listen to what I had to say. So finally, when she stopped and listened and I was done, I let her speak. She said, "Mom, if you don't let me down, then I will pray Heavenly Father changes your mind."

Then she folded her arms, closed her eyes and said:
"Heavenly Father, thanks for the day. And Jesus, please help mom to be nice and kind. And not yell at me, or be mad at me, or smash me anymore (I guess she thought I was smashing her in the couch). And please bless Pyper to not cry. And the toys to not be hard. (So they wouldn't hurt Pyper??? I don't know.) Amen."

Of course, watching her there, sitting on the couch praying for me to be kind to her, my heart melted and when she was done, I opened my arms to her and we gave each other a big hug. I told her I was sorry for getting mad, but that it was important that we take care of Pyper. Then I told her thanks for saying the prayer. It was the right thing to do.

Later that night, she was coloring when I told her it was time to go to bed. She didn't want to, and things were escalating a little. She looked up at me and said, "Mom, do I need to pray for you again?"

2 comments:

Mark said...

I wonder how many of us older people actually pray to Heavenly Father in hopes we can change His mind? Summer has taught me a valuable lesson; and that is to pray for His will, not mine be done. Now, having said that, good luck Britt. This Grandpa stuff is great - all advice but no implementation!

auntanne said...


But does she understand that Pipper needs breathing space? Hopefully her prayers were answered with that clause