Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The BIG DAY

Today was a VERY BIG DAY for us. It was Summer's first day of school. I'd been coaching her all morning, and the past few days, about going to school, her being on her own, asking her teaching if she needed any help or had any questions, etc. And at 12:15, we shuffled into the school with everyone else. She was a little nervous with all the new people around her, but once she saw the potato heads, she forgot I was even there. (We took a tour of her school a few months ago, and she wanted so badly to play with the "mashed potatoes." So she was really excited that they were still there today, and she could finally play with them.) I had to do everything I could to keep it all together as I was signing her in and helping her find her cubby for her backpack. A few times while I was there, I got a little emotional, and when I was talking to her teacher before I left, I just broke down. I kissed her head goodbye and told her I would be back to pick her up, and then left. I don't think she even noticed--she was having such a good time with the potato heads.

Well, after sitting in the parking lot and crying on the phone with Rhett, I headed out with Claire to have a special lunch with her and some frozen yogurt. Then we went to the library and spent the time together. A few times as we were driving around, Claire asked for Summer. "Nummer? Nummer?" I told her she was at school. She responded, "See. See." She wanted to see Summer at her school. I told her she had to wait a little longer. Also, when we were at the library, she pulled a chair up to the little kid table, then pulled another one up to the table. She sat down, pointed to the other one, and said, "Nummer. Nummer."

THREE HOURS LATER, I was back at the school, picking Summer up. When I walked in, she was working on a puzzle. She didn't even glance up when her teacher said I was there. She finished her puzzle, and then wanted to keep playing. I almost had to drag her away from there! So I guess that's a good sign.

I asked her what she did, and she didn't say much. She's pretty exhausted. I think she played hard. But she did say, "Little mouse, little mouse, boo!" which was probably a little nursery rhyme or something they did. She also said, "Roll it, roll it, slooooooow." (Rolling her hands fast, fast, then slow.)

She had lunch and a snack there too. When I asked her what she had for lunch, she said, "Oh, snacks and cookies." But I don't know how reliable this answer is. Her school has pretty strict regulations on getting the kids all the nutrients they need.

Well, we're back there tomorrow, and then it's Monday through Thursday for us. It will be good for her--I know she needs the socialization and the experiences. I'm positive this is the right thing for her--it's me I'm worried about!!!

Summer's First Day of School

3 comments:

Mark said...

Sis, it's hard to see them grow up.... until they marry a good man and move out! We're excited for the progress going on up north.
Love ya

Andres said...

That is a big day! And Summer looks like such a big girl in the picture. Seems like the parents always have a harder time than the kids, but I'm sure it will get easier. Miss you guys!/Maria

Jillyn said...

She looks so big with her backpack on. Sure miss you and the girls!