Monday, March 23, 2015

Stories

Just some things to record so I don't forget . . .

The other night, Claire was talking, and she said, "Remember that story when Jesus healed the tigers?"
I actually couldn't. So I asked for clarification. "He healed tigers?"
"Yes," she said, "The ten tigers."
"Oh . . . " I said. "You mean the ten lepers?"
"Oh yeah. The ten leopards."

*  *  *

I went to the library on Tuesday to do story time with Basil and check out some more books for Summer to read. Story time was fun, and as we were browsing the books, I caught the children's librarian and asked her how to tell what reading level the books were. I was hoping to find something a little more challenging for Summer. I said that Summer was a first grader, and she led me to a section of easy readers. I showed her the book I had in my hands (which was beyond an easy reader) and the librarian looked at me a little puzzled. "That book is a third grade reading level. Going any higher would take you to the fourth and fifth grade level." My eyes about popped out. Then her eyes about popped out when I responded, "She read about ten of these over the weekend." And I was not exaggerating!

* * *

The girls have been playing "horsie" lately, galloping around and riding each others backs. Well, Basil finally figured out how to gallop. It's a floppy, hip-sway gallop, but she can do it. And she loves it. Everywhere she goes, she gallops. Into her room. Out of her room. Into the kitchen. Out of the kitchen. Over to me. I love it.

* * *

When Claire and Pyper were just learning how to talk, they would call Summer, "Nummer." (Pyper actually still says it that way!) Well now that Basil is saying everyone's names, it's actually interesting that she doesn't say Nummer. She calls her "Summy." So sweet!

* * *

Claire in her prayers: "Please help everyone else to be wrong and me to always be right."

* * *

Pyper was coloring a picture with Rhett sitting next to her. This was their conversation:
Rhett "Is that a bear driving a car?"
Pyper "Yes."
Rhett, matter of factly, "Well, that's not very safe, is it?"
Pyper "Yes it is. He's buckled."
Rhett "But bears don't drive cars."
Pip "Why not? He's got an arm and a hand."

* * *

The other night, I was tucking Claire in and I said, "Claire, thanks for all your help today. It really makes things easier for me, and I appreciate it." She responded, "Thanks, mom. I appreciate you being my mom." :)

* * *

Pyper, while painting, "I love dark white."

* * *

I pulled a lemon out of the fridge the other night, and Basil asked, "Apple?" I said, "No, it's a lemon." She responded, "Oh. Lemon. Twelve. Thirteen. Fourteen."


3 comments:

Blatter said...

Oh my goodness, the ten tigers was hilarious!

Jillyn said...

I was laughing the entire way through your post. Love those girls!

Mark said...

These are "rich" sayings. In fact, I believe most of them would confound the wise!