Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Signing Summer

When Summer was about five months old, I was super dedicated to signing to her every day, asking her if she wanted "water," or "more," or if she was "all done." She never seemed to really respond with her hands, and so I gave up. (I know, I know, I jumped the gun at five months. That's way too young for her to expect her to respond.)

So the drive to teach her sign language fizzled. But recently, the whining is becoming a little too much, and I think, "If she could communicate with her hands what she wants, then the whining should subside." So we picked it up again. And she is responding now. Of course, the signs aren't perfect, but at least she's doing them!

Summer signing "all done." "All done" is signed by flipping your hands over and out, as if you were brushing crumbs from your shirt after a meal. Summer just shakes her hands in the air.



Summer signing "more." "More" is signed by making "O's" with both hands, and then slightly flattening them. Then you tap the fingertips and thumb together with the fingertips and thumb of the other hand. Summer just uses her pointer finger and points to her left palm.




And I don't really know if the whining is subsiding or not. We'll keep you posted on that!

6 comments:

Blatter said...

SO CUTE! and SO impressive! I love that she is just in her diaper too! The last video was my favorite. For a Girls Night we are doing a signing class to do with our babies! I will let you know how it goes.

Jillyn said...

You have inspired me to teach Noah too. I think you have the right idea that eventually she will stop whining because she can finally communicate to you what she wants. Keep up the good work. You are a great example to me on how to be a good mother. I love you.

Unknown said...

The exact same thing happened with my and my boys. They didn't respond at all so I gave up. Now Elliot especially is getting the hang of it. He signs "more" and "please." The only problem is he also says please so he probably doesn't need to sign as much anymore. Now if I could just get my boys using the potty like Summer does, I would be set. I just need a little more motivation.

Jenny said...

I have loved signing with Callie. I will do it with every child of mine. It was just so helpful. The "more" thing -- I see a lot of kids going through Sammy's therapies who sign...and every kid I see who does "more" does it just like Summer. Callie did it that way too. Interesting. Anyway, way to go Summer!

Leanna said...

SO funny! Hazel does the exact SAME sign for "more" even though that's not the sign I showed her. haha But so far I think she just thinks it means "hungry." lol Oh well, I'll take what I can get. So far that's the only sign I have used (mainly because I've forgotten all the others), but you've inspired me to get back up on my game. Good luck with the whining! =D

Lance and Darcie and Auzzy said...

Britt that is awesome that you are working with Summer. Communication is important. Good luck with the whining job. Austyn still whines I hope Summer gets better at not whining for you. You and Rhett are awesome parents. Was that Rhett playing the guitar in the background?